Friday, September 29, 2006

Disappointed and sad

"Mike" is a guy I met in the jail several months ago. At the time, he was excited about getting plugged into the church, getting involved in a small group and eventually joining the worship team. Mike also had a girlfriend that he was planning on living with when he got out of jail.

Dave and I both talked to him about that living situation. We exhorted him to find alternate living arrangements, so that he could focus on his relationship with Christ and not walk in sin. Initially, when Mike got out of jail, we would talk or hang out fairly regularly. We'd do stuff around the church (he was always will to do work), and we'd talk about his walk with Christ. Mike has a servant's heart and is very compassionate. For now, though, he has chosen to continue living with his girlfriend.

She does not seem to be happy with the time we spend together. She does not want him coming to the church I pastor. She wants to keep living with him, but she doesn't want to marry him because she doesn't trust him. I haven't quite figured that out. Mike says that she is a strong Christian and knows the Word.

Lately, Mike has not returned phone calls from me or other guys in the church. I've told Mike that if he wants the blessing of God on his life, he can't walk in blatant, unrepentant sin. He knows the truth, but does not want to let go of this relationship. I'm sad and disappointed for Mike because he has such great potential. And even though Mike is a grown man and responsible for his own actions, it's hard for me not to be angry with his girlfriend. I need to let that go and pray for both of them. Mike says that she could really be used of God if she would just surrender to him more fully.

"Father, I do pray for both of them that their eyes would be opened and that they would repent and turn to You. You have been patient with me in all my sinful ways. You have never left me or forsaken me. I pray that Your Spirit would show them the truth that they may walk in it and glorify You with their lives. In Jesus' name. Amen."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home