Tuesday, July 25, 2006

"Why did you call my name?"

From Dave:
----------
I was sitting at a table when a man walked by and took a calendar without saying anything. About 10 minutes later he sat down right opposite me and asked, "Why did you call my name?" I replied that I didn't call him, nor did I even know his name, but was pleased to meet him and talk with him. I keep a 3x5 card of personal information on all the inmates I meet. I asked the man to tell me a little about himself and any needs he might have. He was coy at first when I tried to get the usual information from him. Finally, he told me his name, "James," and I got other information from him.

He spent quite some time asking me about who I was and what was I doing there. A little while later, James asked again, "Why did you call my name?" All at once he did a complete turn-around in openness so I presented the gospel to him. He was very attentive and hung on every word of Scripture I gave him. After a time, James confessed his sins and received the Lord Jesus. We did some talking and praying, and James left a saved man.
----------

This story reminds me of the call of Samuel in 1 Samuel 3:1–10. Samuel was only a boy when the Lord called him to be a prophet. Samuel heard the Lord's voice, but thought it was Eli, the priest, who was calling his name. Eli instructed Samuel to say, "Speak, LORD, your servant is listening." Samuel did so and came into a personal relationship with God.

It seems that the Lord was calling James to salvation. Who knows how many people around you and me the Lord is calling to Himself right now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home