Wednesday, June 29, 2005

"Don't end up like me!"

I sat with Landon and Drey at a table today. (BTW, many names and some details in this and other posts have been changed.) Drey is 41 and a grandfather. He should be getting out tomorrow. Landon, 24, has about four more months to go.

"Let me ask you a question," Landon said to me. "I've got two women on the outside. One is my daughter's mother, but we're not getting along. We've been together for 5 years. The other is one I've been with for two years and we get along great. Which one should I pick?"

This led to a long three-way conversation about what it means to be a man—a man that honors God. I told him how a godly man does not look for a woman to take care of him ("that's what your mama's for"), but is looking to take care of his wife. He loves her the way Christ loved the church and gave His life for the church (Eph. 5:25). This is the kind of husband a wife will gladly submit to (Eph. 5:22).

These two guys sit together often. As Landon put it to Drey, "Everybody else is talking about how they're not going to get caught next time. But you (Drey) help me along the right path."

Drey seems to be sort of a father figure to Landon. He gives him straight advice, mostly right on. Drey has a Christian background and knows the truth, but is not following what he knows. "Don't end up like me, Landon. You need to get grounded in God."

Pray that Landon and Drey surrender fully to Jesus and get connected with men in a church when they get out.

3 Comments:

Blogger 8675309 said...

Just surfed on in and found your blog by "accident" -- many blessings to you for the work you're doing! May God continue to bless and increase your ministry and bring many to know the peace of Christ through your faithfulness to Him.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Yannick said...

I too happened upon your blog. You are doing wonderful work. Keep up the good work. May God Bless you and keep you and may His face shine upon you. May he enlarge your territory and make you prosperous in all that you do in His Name.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Thank you, Jenny and yannick, for your encouraging words, and may the Father shower you with His incredible love.

Jenny, I used to live in the L.A. area, myself—in Cerritos.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home