Tuesday, March 01, 2005

A New Man in Christ

“I’ve got something for you to read.” Duane was clearly excited about something he had received and wanted Brian to see it.

A week earlier, Duane had told Brian that he had called his aunt, but that she wasn’t home. “I couldn’t get through so I wrote her a letter.” Today, he handed Brian a letter he had gotten in reply from his aunt. Tears came to Brian’s eyes as he read the letter from this saint who had raised Duane from the time he was 11 until age 18. The love of the Father was evident in every line. “I cried, too, when I read it,” Duane said. “My mother was sent to prison, so my aunt took me in. She was an example of a God-fearing woman, but I didn’t want to have anything to do with that. So I left home.”

Duane had become a fairly high-level drug dealer, acquired lots of money and material things, but was “empty on the inside.” The last few months in jail, he became open to the things of God, but was resisting calling his aunt and reconciling. That day finally came! (Thanks for your specific prayers for that.)

After talking with Brian for over an hour, Brian said, “It’s time for you to enlist in the Lord’s army.” Duane hesitated.

“Ten minutes until lockdown!” came the voice over the loudspeaker.

Finally, Duane said, “Let’s pray before I get locked in.” Duane received forgiveness of his sins through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ! Pray that Duane grows strong in his newfound faith, and that he becomes a bold witness and soldier for the Lord. Praise God for the five other men who received Christ this past month.

Pray that Troy, Mark and Seoul (a Buddhist immigrant from Laos) would develop a hunger for knowing the Lord. Pray that “Pretty Boy Bullet” would surrender his life to Jesus.

“Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him…” (Ps. 32:1–2). Pray that many more men and women experience this blessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home