Saturday, May 06, 2006

New Birth after a New Birth

I went back to jail yesterday for the first time after my son was born. I sat down with Angelo and John. I had met Angelo a few weeks before; he brought John to meet me.

"My little daughter goes to church with her grandma," John said. "She loves it. I never thought about going the right way until I got in here three weeks ago. I just want a second chance with my family."

"God wants to give you a second chance, John," I told him. "That's why He sent
Jesus."

"How come guys who do all these bad things get a second chance," John complained, "but those who don't do things which are that bad don't seem to get a second chance? I mean, I've never killed anybody or raped anybody, but I hear a lot of other guys talk about what they've done and they seem to get breaks."

I showed John Romans 3:10–12: "There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."

"No one can claim to have any goodness in God's sight. All of us have fallen short, but God gives us an opportunity to be a new creation. It's not too late until you're six feet under."

"I just want to have a second chance."

"God is offering you an eternal plea bargain. Admit your guilt to him, confess your sin. Put your trust in the Lord Jesus and you will be declared innocent."

"I just want a second chance."

"John," I told him, "you don't have to ask God anymore to give you a second chance. He's already given it to you. The question is, will you take it?"

"Of course I'll take it."

"Do you know how to receive eternal life? Do you know how to receive your second chance?"

"No."

"Are you sorry for your sins?"

"Yes."

"You're half way there. Do you believe Jesus died for your sins and that He rose from the dead?"

"Yes."

"Are you ready to take your second chance right now?"

"Yes."

"Confess your sin to God, tell Him you're sorry."

With tears, John confessed his sin to God and told him he didn't want to do those things anymore. "Lord Jesus, I want you to take control of my life."

I assured him that his sins were forgiven. I then prayed for him to be filled with the Holy Spirit, to be empowered to live a righteous life, and to be a witness for Christ.

"Thank God for forgiving you, John." After he did that, I asked him how he felt.

"I feel like a ton of bricks was lifted off my back!" Laughing with him, I said, "I know the feeling, John."

"Now I want to get my family on track with God," he said.

Praise God for the new birth. Pray that John's whole family would be saved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home