Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Too sick to see the doctor

"Rod" clearly understood the message of salvation that my friend, Dave, shared with him. In every point he agreed that what they discussed was totally correct and it all applied to him. When Dave asked him if he wanted to repent, receive the Lord, and to live his life for Jesus, Rod said "No, I want to wait until I am more right with God before I make that commitment."

That response is unfortunately all too common. It is the belief that says, "I have to work myself to God--at least halfway--and then Jesus can take me the rest of the way." This is so contrary to the gospel message and minimizes the magnitude of the death of the Son of God. It makes about as much sense as trying to heal yourself of terminal cancer before going to see the oncologist.

Jesus paid it all. There is nothing we can add to His death on the cross that will make us worthy of salvation. Jesus said, "'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance'" (Luke 5:31-32). This radical statement flew right in the face of the religious leaders who were incredulous that He could accept the outcast of society. And it's good news for you and me. It means we don't have to get our act together before we approach God. God reached down to mankind while we were yet sinners.

He reached me almost 13 years ago. I had grown up in the church. I sang on the worship team. I knew all the right answers to the Sunday school questions. But I didn't even know that the weight of sin was on me. I didn't realize the depth of guilt. Until the Lord came and revealed Himself to me late one night as I lay in bed. My room was filled with the presence of God. I was undone by His holiness. I wept deeply over my sin. And in the midst of it all, God spoke, "This is why I sent My Son Jesus--to die for your sins." It was like I heard the gospel for the first time. It finally sank into my heart. I believe it! I believe it! I kept saying quietly to myself. I literally felt a heavy weight lift off my chest. I knew--really knew in my "knower"--my sins had been forgiven.

My life was radically and forever transformed that night...

1 Comments:

Blogger Yannick said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony Brian. I pray that "Rod" will come to realise that it is by God's grace and not works that we are saved. I pray that he will come to accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour and make that commitment to him.

God Bless you and your family Brian. Keep doing a wonderful job and keep doing it for God.

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home